Blythewood is a small town in Richland County, South Carolina with a population of just over 5,000 people. Located just 20 miles from Columbia, Blythewood is a vibrant community with a rich history. Whether you’re looking for a great school system, plenty of shopping and dining opportunities, sprawling golf courses, or access to great jobs, Blythewood has it all—plus the bonus of beautiful natural landscapes. Let’s explore what makes this small town so special.
Blythewood is situated in the northeast corner of Richland County, located just 20 miles north of Columbia, SC. It’s conveniently located near major interstates – I-77 and I-20 – so it’s easy to get around and travel from Blythewood into downtown Columbia or the upstate. It’s also close to Lake Murray and other nature preserves for days spent outdoors. This means that residents have easy access to big-city amenities without having to sacrifice the peace and quiet of small-town living.
The town is served by the award-winning Richland County School District 2 which includes seven elementary schools, two middle schools, and one high school in addition to several private schools nearby. The district has some of the highest scores on standardized tests in South Carolina and the education level of Blythewood ranks among the highest in the nation. Of the 25-and-older adult population in Blythewood, 47.98% have at least a bachelor’s degree. The typical US community has just 21.84% of its adults holding a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree. The district offers a variety of extracurricular activities for students such as sports teams and clubs. Students in Blythewood attend Ridge View High School. The school has an award-winning marching band and competitive athletics programs.
Blythewood is home to several large employers, including Kia Motors America, Sonoco Products Company, Columbia International University, DSS Center for Child Care Career Development, and Nephron Pharmaceuticals Corporation. Headquarters for Denny’s Corporate Office, Sysco Foods Corporation, and Verizon Wireless Regional Headquarters are also located in the area.
Blythewood is a decidedly white-collar town, with fully 87.30% of the workforce employed in white-collar jobs, well above the national average. Overall, Blythewood is a town of managers, professionals, and sales and office workers. There are especially a lot of people living in Blythewood who work in management occupations (20.70%), sales jobs (11.10%), and office and administrative support (10.57%).
There’s no shortage of places to shop and dine in Blythewood. There are plenty of restaurants along with popular shopping centers like Sandhills Mall which offers over 100 stores and services just minutes south in Columbia. In the town of Blythewood itself, we love the smaller mom & pop shops and restaurants. Here are our favorites:
- Blythewood Farmers Market – Shop locally grown produce and meat Wednesday afternoons in Doko Meadows Park, each year from May through October. The market also features food trucks, craft vendors, and even live music.
- Doko Smoke – Who doesn’t love smoked pulled pork and brisket? Doko Smoke is your area go-to for fantastic southern bbq with all the fixin’s. While it may not be fancy, it’s a tried and true staple of the area, highly rated for their BBQ.
- If you’re looking for a great cup of coffee, stop by the Bloomin Bean Coffee Bar.
Near Blythewood High School in the heart of town, you can find popular chains such as Lizard Thicket, Carolina Wings & Rib House.
The real estate market in Blythewood is thriving with single family homes ranging from starter homes all the way up to luxury estates. Home values in this area average $340,000, which is an increase of 10% in the past year. Infact, this figure is almost $100,000 higher than the average home price in 2019! With steady growth in industry and central location, we anticipate the area to continue growing, somewhat protected from economic uncertainties.
Many of these homes come with beautiful features such as gourmet kitchens, spacious backyards perfect for entertaining guests or playing with kids or pets, large bedrooms and bathrooms finished with modern fixtures and finishes, etc. Plus there are plenty of outdoor activities like golfing at Cobblestone Park Golf Club or taking long walks on the trails at Windmill Park just minutes away!
Are you looking for a new home in Blythewood? We have several new home communities being built in the area by leading home builders. Here are some of our favorites:
- Ashley Oaks by Stanley Martin Homes offers home buyers expansive new homes with spacious and luxurious kitchens, open floor plans, and large lots. These homes come with up to 5 bedrooms and 3 car garages, with brick and stone front visages for curb appeal. Homes size range between 3,500 sq. ft. to over 5,000 and prices start at $500,000. The community is just south of Blythewood and is minutes from Linrick Golf Course or North Columbia.
- Great Southern Homes has two communities with new homes for sale in Blythewood – Blythewood Farms and Baymont. Baymont homes start at $300,000 while Blythewood Farms has a lower starting price point, at $250,000, making it a fantastic option for first time home buyers. Both developments boast open concept living and are designed to fit into the natural surroundings through careful homesite development leaving existing trees between home lots, and tree lined street-scapes. Blythewood Farms especially is built on over 240 acres, with forest area between streets to create more privacy. The community also has a pond and pool.
- Coming soon is a new community called Grand Arbor! Pulte Group Inc is building a Grand Arbor neighborhood from Centex, a brand known for their value and quality, and Pulte Homes, their more upscale community brand. The communities will border a 12 acre lake and feature several highly-sought outdoor amenities: pool, basketball course, pickelball court, pool, and clubhouse pavilion. Prices and home details coming soon. If these communities are of interest to you, please reach out to us and we’ll make sure to line up a tour as soon as the builders allow it.
Buyers looking for new homes for sale in Blythewood have several fantastic options – all of which appreciate the natural beauty of our area. If you’re interested in looking at any new homes, please consider reaching out for our help. Using a realtor can help you navigate the sometimes confusing process of buying new and will give you a better negotiating arm when working with builders. Contact us today to learn more.
Events Held in Blythewood
Blythewood has several festivals throughout the year, including:
- Doko Film Fest
- J. Gordon Coogler Poetry Festival
- Blythewood Fall Festival Rodeo
- Village Fallfest
Outdoor & Local Activities
Blythewood is also home to numerous golf and country clubs. Here are a few:
If you’re looking for a quaint small town close enough to bigger cities but far enough away that you can still enjoy peace and quiet then Blythewood might be the perfect place for you! With its location near Columbia and Charlotte, plus its great school system, employers, shopping/dining opportunities, and real estate market, there’s something here for everyone—not to mention its beautiful natural landscape! So why not check out what Blythewood has to offer? We think you won’t be disappointed!
Active Realty Listings in Blythewood
There’s nothing like the smell of a brand new house, and in Blythewood, you’ll find that a large proportion of homes are new construction. Recent growth in residential real estate is an indication that people are choosing to move to Blythewood and putting down their money on brand new construction. Blythewood’s real estate is, on average, some of the newest in the nation.
Below are active listings for the Blythewood area. If you’re interested moving to Blythewood or the Midlands region, please reach out to Terri to represent and assist you in your relocation process. Contact us today to get started!