Lugoff and Elgin are two small towns located in Kershaw County, South Carolina. These charming communities offer residents close proximity to Columbia, an excellent school system, and plenty of outdoor activities. The real estate market in both towns is very affordable, making them a great option for home buyers.
Lugoff and Elgin are located in Kershaw County, just a short drive from the state capital of Columbia. This makes Lugoff and Elgin the perfect place for those who want to enjoy the benefits of small-town living while still being close enough to the city to take advantage of all it has to offer.
Lugoff is between Elgin and Camden, with both being just a handful of minutes away. The Wateree River runs through Lugoff, as does Highway 1 & 601, which converge near the center of the town. Both Lugoff and Elgin are very small – with Lugoff’s population hovering just below 8,000 and Elgin’s under 2,000. These communities are perfect for those seeking a break from city life, or a great deal in a high-growth area. Both being in close proximity to Northeast Columbia, are prime for growth and development as suburban sprawl takes hold. We are seeing an uptick in new home construction in both areas – from starter homes to luxury estate communities.
One of the best things about Lugoff and Elgin is the excellent school system. The schools in Kershaw County are some of the best in the state and they offer students a great education and a safe environment.
Lugoff and Elgin are both just minutes from Village at Sandill, an outdoor mall in Northeast Columbia, as well as the many shops and restaurants located in Camden, SC. Village at Sandhill offers over 100 different shops and dining options, such as Yankee Candle, Loft, Moe’s Southwest Grill, The Children’s Place, and more. The outdoor mall also hosts family-friendly events throughout the year, in partnership with its vendors. To stay updated on stores and events, follow their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/villageatsandhill.
Another great thing about Lugoff and Elgin is that the real estate market is thriving. This is good news for both buyers and sellers because it means that there are plenty of houses on the market at all price points. Whether you’re looking for a starter home or your forever home, you’re sure to find what you’re looking for.
Currently, there are several new communities open and in development in the area. Stanley Martin Homes is a large developer in the area and has several communities in Elgin alone. Here are a few of the top communities in the Lugoff-Elgin area:
– Lakeside at Woodcreek by Stanley Martin Homes: Located in the prestigious Woodcreek golf area, Lakeside at Woodcreek features amenities such as walking trails weaving around Tucker Lake and several ponds, a community pool, close proximity to shopping and dining at the Village at Sandhill. Homes are also all-brick and built with entertaining in mind! Prices are in the mid-$500s.
– The Stables at Woodcreek by Stanley Martin Homes: Another Stanley Martin Homes community in Woodcreek, this community has fantastic starter homes priced starting at $260,000+. With local amenities such as 14 parks and multiple lakes, this is a fantastic community for a younger family looking for proximity to Columbia.
– Walnut Creek by Great Southern Homes: Affordable family homes with 2,000 – 3,000 sq. ft of living space. Communities like this sell out fast!
– Kelsney Ridge by Stanley Martin Homes: This community features larger family homes (3,500 sq. ft. +) and prices range from the low $400s up to $600,000.
Events Held in Lugoff and Elgin
Elgin has one event that put them on the map – the Catfish Stomp. Every December, the town hosts a parade and festival with over 30 vendors. Visitors can eat local catfish while kicking off their Christmas shopping. The event started almost 40 years ago with locally prized catfish stew and has since become an annual staple in the area. Follow the town’s Facebook page to keep updated on event dates.
Outdoor & Local Activities
Lugoff is home to several parks the locals love to use for kayaking and walking.
- Kendall Lake Park is minutes away where Camden and Lugoff meet. The park is a great spot for fishing and has a boat ramp and plenty of trails.
- On the Wateree River in Lugoff is the Wateree River Veterans Park. Like Kendall Lake Park, it also has boat ramps for fishing or kayaking and plenty of walking paths for a great day outside.
- For golfing enthusiasts, The Woodcreek Club is located in Elgin. The Tom Fazio designed course features beautifully designed greens, clubhouse with pool, tennis courts, and impeccable dining.
As you can see, there are many great reasons why Lugoff and Elgin would be the perfect place for you to call home. With their convenient location, beautiful state parks and golf courses, variety of nearby shopping and dining options, and affordable real estate market, these two towns have a lot to offer!
Active Realty Listings in Lugoff – Elgin
Below are active listings for the Lugoff and Elgin area. If you’re interested moving to this region, or anywhere in the greater Midlands area, please reach out to Terri to represent and assist you in your relocation process. Contact us today to get started!